Monday, March 5, 2007

Reflection #5: Are Women and Cars the same thing?

Wow! I never thought that boring moments could be so powerful to guide such a talented, brilliant and creative mind like E. E. Cummings’ one to write something like this. It’s incredible to think that a person have creativity in such proportions. I never imagined read a thing like this. It’s very exciting not only because you have to read it many times to understand it but because once you deciphers the code behind each word, you form part of Cummings’ mind and you are able to understand his or her ideas, comparisons, descriptions and not only that but there’s no way to hold your desire to start laughing. Believe me; I saw many kinds of comparison with a woman but never with a car. “She being Brand” surely is the best double sense poem I had read in my life. It’s funny, at first I thought it was about a person learning to drive but after I read it many times I was able to understand this sensual, sentimental, passionate and, without doubt, funny act that hide that columns of words we call poem. There’s an interesting point in this poem. I knew that there’s something important in the title of this poem. And after I looked at it very close I saw that, in the title, there’s only one word starting with caption letter. Looking closely at “she being Brand” and the sense of this poem, the word Brand means, I think, Virgin, “she being Virgin”.

2 comments:

Mari said...

Its true, the poem is very funny, at first I thaugh that it was about the car and the guy was yust very exited about it but then I realized the true when I read the secon time.

Emmanuel Lopez said...

Nice title.....It attracted my attention...and the way you describe the story is pretty much the way everyone visualized it..keep up the good work!